Beagle Temperament and Personality
Do you know what to expect from a Beagle? Read this article to learn more about Beagle temperament and personality. Although not every Beagle is the same, this outline will give you a general idea of the breed itself.
Every dog is an individual but there a lot of common personality and character traits that Beagle share. Here are some qualities that Beagles often share:
- Intelligent – Although they can’t compete with Border Collies when it comes to learning cool and complicated tricks, Beagles are actually really clever. So be careful when you leave them unattended with your dinner in the same room. They will find a way to get it if they really want it. They are also notorious escape artist since they always find a way to escape.
- Calm – Beagles are actually really easy going dogs. They might be a little hyper when they are puppies, but once they get older they calm down. So if you are looking for a dog that will enjoy a lazy Friday night in front of a TV everyone in a while, you’re looking at the right breed.
- Playful and friendly – These dogs sure love to play and have fun. This is another reason why they good with children. Your kid won’t ever get bored playing with a Beagle.
- Curious – With their very sensitive noses, Beagles always have to follow down a scent to see where it leads. They are natural hunters so it’s no wonder that they are constantly curious.
- Compassionate – They know when someone is feeling a little down, and they will do their best to cheer that person up. They will always be there for you to cuddle up with when you need them. Beagles are really good with emotions and are often used as therapy dogs.
- Protective – Beagles take loyalty very seriously. They won’t sit idly by if they feel a threat or a danger near your family. Unfortunately since they are not bred for guarding, they can’t do much to defend you besides warning you. So don’t count on Beagles to guard your home from intruders.
Beagles with Children
These adorable little dogs actually do really well with children. Their playful and curious personality goes hand in hand with what a kid wants from a dog. Their loyalty and intelligence also makes it very easy for people to bond with them.
They are adorable, fun and exciting dogs. How can a kid not fall in love with a Beagle?
Temperament Towards Other Pets
Already own a pet and still want a Beagle? Well Beagles can get along with just about anyone. They are really that friend
- Beagles with other dogs – Usually they won’t initiate any problems with other dogs, but if they feel annoyed or threatened they will retaliate.
- Beagles with cats – Beagles have real strong prey drive due to their hunting instincts. So unless the Beagle is introduced to cats at an early age, it might take some effort to get him to get along with his feline companions.
Before you bring a Beagle home, try to introduce him to your current pets in a more neutral environment to see how they react to each other. Some Beagles will have no problem sharing your love with other pets, but others might feel a little sting of jealousy. This also holds true for your current pets as well, not just the Beagle.
Next Article: Living with a Beagle in an Apartment
The Guide Book: Your Guide to a Happy Beagle