Beagle Training – Dog Clicker
If you ever seen an obedience dog show, then you probably seen dog trainers use this weird little devices called “Clickers”. Although they might look like they have special powers, they are actually very simple training tools – which you can apply to your own Beagle training sessions.
A clicker is just a small plastic box or cap that makes a distinct clicking noise when pressed. What? Did you expect something more? Well sorry to disappoint, but that’s really all they are.
How Clicker Training Works
If you know anything about dog training in general, then you must already know that the best way to train a dog is by using the reward system. He will be more eager to repeat the command if he feel rewarded, usually with a treat, for doing so.
A clicker is used in the same exact way, except it replaces the treat with a clicking noise. Carrying treats around with you at all times isn’t easy and can get messy, but clickers can easily go on your keychain or stay in your pocket wherever you go.
Learn More: Dealing with a Disobedient Beagle
Using a Clicker to train your Beagle
I know what you’re probably thinking right now: How can a clicking noise possible replace a delicious treat?
Well this is done through conditional training. The reason treats are so rewarding for your Beagle is because they taste great and that gives him a nice warm feeling. If you can train the dog to associate the clicking noise with that same feeling, the sound will feel almost as rewarding as the treat itself.
Here is how you do it:
- Step 1 – Start training your Beagle like you would normally by using treats to get his attention.
- Step 2 -Give him a command to do and reward him with a treat for completing it right.
- Step 3 – When giving him the treat, click the clicker at the same exact time.
- Step 4 – Keep repeating the steps above so your beagle starts to associate the clicker sound with the treats.
- Step 5 – After a few training sessions, start removing treats from training and use only the clicker and praise to reward your Beagle.
Remember that you don’t need a clicker to successfully train your Beagle. It’s just a training tool that makes it easier to reward the dog. Using treats as rewards is just as effective.
Next Article: Obedience Training
The Guide Book: Your Guide to a Happy Beagle